Jaggery is a kind of unrefined sugar that is produced in Asia and Africa. Because the beneficial molasses isn’t spun off during processing, it’s frequently called “non-centrifugal sugar.” Here are some of the Health benefits of jaggery:
1. Prevents constipation: Jaggery promotes bowel movements by activating digestive enzymes in the body, which helps to prevent and treat constipation. Constipation is a condition in which it is difficult to empty the intestines, and it is generally accompanied by hardened faeces. It also works as a diuretic, which aids in bowel movement stimulation. After lunch, a tiny piece of jaggery can help with digestion, which is important for general health.
2. Detoxifies the liver: Jaggery is a natural bodily cleanser, which helps to reduce the liver’s burden. Jaggery aids liver cleansing by removing toxic toxins from the body, which in turn aids liver detoxification. So, if you want to cleanse your body properly, bite on a piece of jaggery.
3. Relieves symptoms of the flu: With the aid of gur, you can fight cold and cough problems. To get the advantages, simply combine it with warm water and consume it, or even use it instead of sugar in your tea. Jaggery generates heat in the body, which is why it is commonly used in the winter. Jaggery’s warming action makes it an excellent sweet for treating colds and flu.
4. Blood purifier: Jaggery’s capacity to cleanse the blood is one of its most well-known properties. It cleanses the blood and leaves your body healthy when ingested on a regular basis and in little amounts. Clean blood indicates a healthier body that is free of sickness.
Also Read: 20 Health Benefits of Almonds you must know!
5. Boosts immunity: Jaggery is high in antioxidants and minerals like zinc and selenium, which assist to minimise free radical damage and increase infection resistance. Jaggery also aids in the rise of total haemoglobin levels in the blood.
6. Cleanses the body: Because jaggery is one of the greatest natural cleaning agents for the body, it is recommended that you eat it to get rid of undesirable particles. It effectively cleans the lungs, bronchi, intestines, stomach, and food pipe. People who work in polluted environments, such as factories or coal mines, should consume jaggery.
7. Relieves menstruation pain: Jaggery is a good natural therapy for menstrual difficulties, notably cramps, due to its high content of important nutrients. If you’re having mood swings right before your period, eat a little piece of jaggery every day to help with PMS symptoms since it triggers the production of endorphins. Premenstrual syndrome is prevented by endorphins, which soothe your body (PMS).
8. Helps to avoid anaemia: Jaggery is high in iron and folate, which aids to prevent anaemia by maintaining a proper amount of red blood cells. This is especially advantageous for ladies who are expecting a child. It keeps the number of red blood cells in the body at a healthy level. Furthermore, it gives the body immediate energy.
9. Improves intestinal health: Jaggery’s high magnesium concentration helps to strengthen the intestines. You receive 16 mg of magnesium every 10 grams of jaggery, which is 4% of the daily need for this mineral.
10. Helps to keep the stomach cool: Jaggery helps to keep your body temperature regular, which helps to keep your stomach cool. To stay cool in the summer, experts recommend sipping Gur Sharbat (jaggery soaked in ice cold water).
11. Lowers blood pressure: Jaggery includes potassium and salt, all of which are essential for the body’s acid balance. It ensures that blood pressure is maintained at a healthy range.
12. Prevents respiratory issues: Regularly drinking jaggery might help you avoid respiratory disorders like asthma and bronchitis. Experts advocate combining this natural sweetener with sesame seeds for maximum respiratory advantages.
13. Relieves joint pain: One of the health benefits of jaggery is relieving joint pain. Some experts suggest that if you are suffering from aches and pains in your joints, jaggery can relieve that pain.To relieve joint discomfort, eat it with a slice of ginger, or drink a glass of milk with jaggery every day to help strengthen the bones and avoid joint and bone issues like arthritis.
14. Lose weight: “Jaggery is a surprisingly efficient weight-loss treatment. This is because jaggery is high in potassium, a mineral that aids in electrolyte balance, muscular growth, and metabolism. Potassium also helps to reduce water retention, which aids in weight management “, says Anshul Jaibharat, a Delhi-based nutritionist. These qualities are vital for optimal weight reduction, so include this meal in your diet if you’re seeking to shed some pounds.
15. Good source of energy: Unlike sugar, which is a simple carbohydrate that is quickly taken into the circulation and provides immediate energy, jaggery is a complex carbohydrate that provides energy to the body over time. This implies that blood sugar levels are not quickly boosted. It also aids in the prevention of weariness and physical weakness. Note: Jaggery is significantly higher in calories, including up to 4 kcal/gram, thus it’s best to take it in moderation.
So, these are some of the health benefits of jaggery. Even though it is sweet, many doctors suggest diabetic patients having jaggery instead of sugar.
Feature Image credits: HowStuffWorks